Parish Ministries During COVID-19
Last updated July 9, 2021
At St. Thomas the Apostle, we continue to monitor the situation with COVID-19. Our parish leaders (pastoral council, liturgy commission, and staff) are listening to the recommendations of state and national authorities, the leadership of our archdiocese, as well the input of our parishioners. We are committed to offering quality ministries safely, and to everyone in our expanding community.
Mass, Communion and Reconciliation
Effective July 4, 2021, Archbishop Hebda and the Bishops of Minnesota have removed the dispensation for Catholics of the obligation to attend Mass. In light of this:
- We are now celebrating weekend Masses onsite.
- We are now live-streaming our 9 a.m. Mass on Sunday. The Mass will remain available online throughout the week.
- We continue to offer the reception of Holy Communion for those who celebrate Mass online.
- The Sacrament of Reconciliation is offered on Saturday at 4:00 p.m. in the Reconciliation Room. Those who would prefer to celebrate in a larger space (for social distancing) should contact Fr. Michael.
Faith Formation for All
Our Faith Formation ministries will resume in late September and will include both in-person and online opportunities. Please contact Bill Nolan for questions about adult faith formation and RCIA; contact Cheryl Taylor regarding ministry to children in grades K-1 and 3-8 and their families; contact Tina Erazmus for information regarding the Sacraments of First Reconciliation, First Eucharist, and/or Confirmation; contact Doug Cleary for Youth Ministry opportunities.
While we are making only limited in-person visits to people who are homebound, we are visiting them regularly by phone or online. And we’re not checking-in only with those we know to be vulnerable; we’re calling all parish households as we are able. If you or anyone you know has any Pastoral Care needs, please contact Barbara Staats or call the parish office: 612-922-0041.
Throughout the pandemic, we have been providing increased financial support to several of our Outreach Ministries (Simpson Housing, Simpson Meal Ministry, Meals on Wheels, Branch Lunch, Feed My Starving Children, among others) so they could offer increased services in a way that was safe for all involved. We are now in the process of resuming in-person volunteer opportunities with each of these ministries, subject to the protocols they have in place. For those who have participated in these ministries in the past, you have been or soon will be contacted by your team coordinators. For those looking to begin participating in any of these ministries, contact Bill Nolan for more information.
Additional Ministry Information
- Baptisms and Weddings are being celebrated. Baptisms will return to a regular once-monthly schedule in September 2021. Contact Bill Nolan for more information.
- Anointing of the Sick is offered, and Funerals are being celebrated. Contact Barb Staats for more information.
- For those seeking to celebrate Daily Mass online, we recommend the Mass at Saint John’s Abbey in Collegeville.
- For those seeking to pray the Rosary with others online, we recommend Salt and Light Media.
All other parish events remain suspended until further notice, including the following:
- Sunday Liturgy of the Word with Children (note online resources are available in our weekly eblast and digital bulletin)
- Sunday Seeds
- Children’s Choir
- Adult Choir
- Youth Group
- Grief Support Series
- Men’s Basketball and Volleyball
- Knitting Ministry