Parish Ministries During COVID-19
Last updated Feb 6, 2021
At St. Thomas the Apostle, we are continuing to monitor the situation with COVID-19. Our parish leaders (pastoral council, liturgy commission, and staff) are listening to the recommendations of state and national authorities, the leadership of our archdiocese, as well the input of our parishioners. We are committed to offering quality ministries safely, and to everyone in our ever-expanding community.
Mass, Communion and Reconciliation
Archbishop Hebda continues to dispense Catholics from the obligation to attend Mass.
- We continue to offer a high-quality Mass online. We also continue our Facebook “Watch Parties.” Go to our Facebook page at the designated times (5pm, 9 and 11am) to join in. You need not have a Facebook account in order to participate.
- We have made arrangements for the reception of Holy Communion for those who celebrate Mass online.
- We are now celebrating onsite Mass on Sunday mornings.
- To celebrate the Sacrament of Reconciliation, please make an appointment with Fr. Michael.
Faith Formation for All
Our Faith Formation ministries are currently offered in an online format. Live group sessions, taped presentations, and additional outside resources which can be accessed at your convenience are included. Please contact Bill Nolan for questions about adult faith formation (we hold Wednesday morning and evening, as well as Friday morning sessions for study and reflection on the upcoming Sunday Scripture readings) and RCIA; contact Cheryl Taylor regarding ministry to children in grades K-1 and 3-8 and their families; contact Martina Hernandez for information regarding the Sacraments of First Reconciliation, First Eucharist, and/or Confirmation; contact Doug Cleary for Youth Ministry opportunities.
While we are making only limited in-person visits to people who are homebound, we are visiting them regularly by phone or online. And we’re not checking-in only with those we know to be vulnerable; we’re calling all parish households as we are able. If you or anyone you know has any Pastoral Care needs, please contact Barbara Staats or call the parish office: 612-922-0041.
We are providing increased financial support to several of our Outreach Ministries (Simpson Housing, Simpson Meal Ministry, Meals on Wheels, Branch Lunch, Feed My Starving Children, among others) so they can offer increased services in a way that is safe for all involved. We will resume in-person volunteer opportunities as soon as it is deemed safe to do so.
Additional Ministry Information
- Baptisms and Weddings are being celebrated. Be advised that protocols will be enforced for the protection of everyone involved, including some limits on the number of attendees. Contact Bill Nolan for more information.
- Anointing of the Sick is offered, and Funerals are being celebrated while observing strict protocols and limits on the number of attendees. Contact Barb Staats for more information.
- For those seeking to celebrate Daily Mass online, we recommend the Mass at Saint John’s Abbey in Collegeville.
- For those seeking to pray the Rosary with others online, we recommend Salt and Light Media.
All other parish events remain suspended until further notice, including the following:
- Sunday Liturgy of the Word with Children (note online resources are available in our weekly eblast and digital bulletin)
- Sunday Seeds
- Weekday Masses and Communion Services
- Children’s Choir
- Adult Choir
- Youth Group in-person activities
- Grief Support Series meetings
- Men’s Basketball and Volleyball groups
- Knitting Ministry